- May 24, 2017
18:30 - 20:00
Pre-festival event: Make a model boat at home from recycled materials and bring it along for judging to The Lough. There are three categories: two for primary and one for secondary students. This year’s theme is: Boats from 100 years ago, inspired by the 1917 Commemorations. There are prizes for best models and the event is free to enter. Prize-winning model boats will be exhibited in the ‘’Kids’ Model Boat Exhibition’’ in Cork City Library, as part of this year’s Cork Harbour Festival, 3 – 11 June.
The event is being run in association with Cllr Kieran McCarthy and the Lifetime Lab.
- The entrant’s will be placed in categories or levels, of which there are three, Primary 4-8 years old & Primary 9-12 years old and secondary (includes Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate).
- There are to be two further categories of entrant; individual and group (min 2-max 3 people).
- Special Need categories will be created on the basis of interest by teachers and applications received.
PRIZES (kindly sponsored by Cllr Kieran McCarthy)
- Book tokens will be awarded to the firsts in the primary categories, and bowling vouchers to the firsts in the secondary school level.
- Certificates will be awarded to each participant.
- This year’s theme is: Boats from 100 years ago, inspired by the 1917 Commemorations.
- Models should be made from recycled materials. The nature of what kind of model boat should be presented is up to the participant.
- Models should be able to float.
- All models should be brought to the Lough for display and adjudication on Wednesday evening, 24 May 2017, 6.30pm.
- There are no restrictions on the size of the model.
- Prizes will be awarded to models that are of a high standard and in particular, which demonstrate colour, creativity, imagination, an ability to float and related to the theme.
Application forms should be returned by Monday 22 May 2017 or earlier to:
Cllr. Kieran McCarthy
McCarthy’s Make a Model Boat Project 2017
c/o Meitheal Mara
Crosses Green House
Or register online by clicking on the ”Register Now” button below.
Note: Each model boat is to have its own separate entry form
Venue: The Lough